latest nhpb_banner 1__compressed



State Financial Resources

Assistance Programs by County

Rent Assistance

Free Food Pantries

Utility Bill Help

Free Stuff

Extra Income & Work From Home Jobs

Public Assistance

Disability Assistance Programs

Section 8 Housing

Senior Assistance

Free Job Training

Free Money

Grants For Bills

Free Clothes & Supplies

Charity Assistance

Church Assistance

Community Action Agencies

Medical Bill Help

Free Healthcare

Free Medical Clinics

Free Dental Clinics

Car Loan Assistance

Interest Free Loans

Debt Help

How to Save Money

Search the Website


LIHEAP energy bill assistance and free weatherization in Nevada.

Energy bill assistance and conservation services in Nevada are offered by the LIHEAP Energy Assistance Program as well as weatherization. While the federal government pays for the programs and issues grants to the state, the assistance programs are run locally by the Department of Health and Human Services, Division of Welfare and Supportive Services as well as the Housing Division. Find details on applying below

These resources can both help low income families pay their electric, utility, and natural gas bills, and it can also help them save money by conserving energy. The objective is to assist as many qualified Nevada households as possible with meeting their energy needs, and funds can help to mitigate the energy burden for low-income persons, seniors, and the disabled.

Grants from Energy Assistance Program (EAP)

Qualified low income Nevada residents can receive either one time or crisis assistance from the EAP program. Support is offered for paying utility costs on an annual basis, and a crisis component also provides emergency assistance for people who have no other options, who are near a shut off of their service, and who turn to the state as a last resort. The Nevada Division of Welfare and Supportive Services (DWSS) can answer questions and processes applications. The federal government Low-Income Home Energy Assistance Program provides grants to the state, and money comes from the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services.

Three main components are the Arrearage Payment Program, Fast-Track, and Crisis Intervention. Any assistance paid out depends on available funding. The DWSS administrator can either suspend and/or limit payments to the needy when there is insufficient funding.

A household that is determined to be qualified will be able to receive a cash benefit that is based on the so called fixed annual credit (FAC) calculation. The credit will be paid directly to your utility company and not to the applicant, and it will show up on your next utility bill or statement. Each eligible household can only receive one LIHEAP benefit per program year.




Regardless of your power source, whether natural gas, electric, wood, oil, propane, kerosene, the Nevada Energy Assistance Program (EAP) can provide grants for paying it. The application process is extensive, and the Welfare and Supportive Services may require proof of income, energy bills/receipts from the client, identification of all household members, and more. Applicants to the program will be expected to comply with agency requests for any proof and/or documents necessary to establish eligibility.

Your benefit is the determined by many factors, including funding of the program, your total income, and number of household members. Where you live in the state can also be used to help determine benefits. A minimum amount is usually paid out per year, and is known as a cap. This can be adjusted yearly to optimize the amount of financial assistance provided to eligible households.

Households that use propane or heating oil as their energy source have different standards in place. In addition, a flat $50 is added to the cap for any household with a child under age six, elderly, or disabled. For information or to apply for Nevada EAP (LIHEAP) grants, call (702) 486-1899.

Nevada free energy conservation from weatherization

The Nevada Weatherization Assistance Program can help low-income persons and families save money by reducing their utility and cooling bills. The program provides for various energy conservation measures. A side benefit is it can help address health and safety measures. Similar to LIHEAP referenced above, WAP is paid for by the federal government U.S. Department of Energy (DOE), and it is administered by the Housing Division of the Nevada Department of Business and Industry. The telephone for weatherization information and applications is (775) 687-2240 or (775) 687-2040.

A number of services are offered, all of which are offered at no cost. Typical measures installed through the Weatherization Assistance Program in Nevada may include duct leakage sealing (return and supply systems); ceiling, floor and duct insulation; insulate water heater and adjoining pipes; shell infiltration sealing (replace broken windows, weatherstripping, caulking, evaporative cooler covers, etc.); and mobile home roof insulation (southern Nevada region only).





Some of the health issues addressed are carbon monoxide testing of appliances, indoor air quality standards, and installation of carbon monoxide detectors. Appliances can be provided by weatherization as well, and can include free heating and cooling system repairs/replacements; compact fluorescent lighting; and refrigerators.

These are just a few examples of what can be done. Additional measures and improvements can be made in Nevada if they fall within program guidelines and if they would prove to be effective.


By Jon McNamara

“Related and Sponsored Links” are listed below.




Contact Us

About Us


Privacy policy

Visit Facebook page

Search Site